I made Fried Green Tomatoes for my book club and they were a hit! I wondered, though, if there wasn’t a way to make them healthier by baking instead of frying. I turned to the internet and found a few recipes – one from gameandgarden.com looked especially promising. I tweaked it a little to include cornmeal from my original recipe, and they were a hit with my family. Here’s what I came up with:
- 4 large firm green tomatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Olive oil spritzer bottle
- 1 cup cornmeal
- Slice tomatoes 1/3 inch thick.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, 1/2 cup cornmeal, salt, and pepper. In a second bowl, mix egg, yogurt and buttermilk. Mix Panko and 1/2 cup cornmeal in third cup (add a little kosher salt to this, too ~1/4 tsp). May need to mix up more of this 3rd bowl.
- Coat tomatoes with the flour mixture, then the yogurt-buttermilk mixture, then the Panko mixture.
- Place coated tomatoes on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed well with PAM. Spritz olive oil on both sides of tomatoes.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for about 7 minutes on one side, and then flip them over and bake for another 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate. Sprinkle with extra salt and serve warm.
- Mix together 2 parts olive oil mayonaise, 1 part ketchup, and 1 part honey
- White balsamic glaze
- Horseradish Cream Spread