Over the summer, it was my turn to pick a book and host our book club. I picked Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (a delightful read!). I thought that fried green tomatoes would be a great appetizer to serve at book club that night, especially as I had a bucketful of green tomatoes on the vines. I found this delightful recipe:
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 3 medium-size green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch slices
- vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- Combine egg and buttermilk; set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, cornmeal, 1 tsp. salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl or pan.
- Dredge tomato slices in remaining 1/4 cup flour, dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inch in a large cast-iron skillet (or other skillet); heat to 375 degrees F. Drop tomatoes, in batches, in hot oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels or a rack. Sprinkle hot tomatoes with salt.
Serving suggestion: Serve with Horseradish Cream Spread.
Source: Southern Living, July 2003