I have been looking for some recipes that will help us use up our supply of sweet potatoes from last fall (but also provide a little variety). Eric is not a beet fan, so we skipped the beets on his salad. The dressing had slightly more of a bite than I typically enjoy, but the combination of rosemary and applesauce was very interesting and went well with the other ingredients. The salad came together well and we used the left-over vinaigrette to dress up some twice baked potatoes the next day.
Makes 2 salads
- 2 large beets, complete with tops (or if no tops: substitute spinach, swiss chard, etc.)
- 2 large sweet potatos
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 30g pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- the juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp fermented garlic flowers (or one garlic clove, crushed)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- ¼ tsp Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
Part 1 – (can do this a day or a few hours ahead)
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Trim the tops and stems off the beets and set aside.
- Peel the beets and potato and cut them into bite size pieces.
- Place the vegetables in a roasting pan lined with parchment paper and roast in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until fork tender but still a bit on the firm side.
- Make sure you keep your veggies separated so the beets don’t end up staining the potatoes.
- While this is happening, rinse and dry the beets tops and stems and chop them coarsely. Place them in an airtight container and refrigerate until you are ready to put the salad together. If using spinach or other greens, skip this.
- When the veggies are nice and roasted, take them out of the oven and let them cool for a while then transfer them to separate containers and place them in the fridge to cool completely, ideally overnight.
- Add all the ingredients for the vinaigrette to your small blender or food processor and process until smooth and well incorporated. Set aside.
- Divide the greens between two serving plates and top with beets, potatoes, sliced avocado and pumpkin seeds.
- Drizzle vinaigrette on top and serve immediately.