- 4 medium eggplants
- 1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- olive oil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 medium eggs, slightly beaten
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 to 3/4 bunch parsley (flat leaf, Italian), finely chopped
- Salt (about 3/4 tsp) and pepper (dash), to taste
- about 1 cup breadcrumbs (approx. 3-5 slices of bread)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash eggplants and prick them all over with a fork. Place them on a baking dish (sprayed with olive oil) and dry bake them for about 50 minutes (may take longer if larger eggplants). Turn occasionally. Let them get quite shriveled. When done, set aside too cool for about 20 minutes.
- Saute the onion in olive oil until it is well done
- Cut off the tops of the eggplants and peel off the skin. It should come away in strips.
- Using a food processor, pulse the eggplant and garlic until it just a little but lumpy.
- Transfer eggplant mixture to large bowl. Stir in cheese, onion, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix everything thoroughly and then start adding the bread crumbs, 1/4 cup at a time. You don’t want the mixture too loose or too stiff – it should stay together when pressed between your hands into a ball.
- Take golf ball sized handfuls of the mixture and roll between your hands into balls and placed on a baking sheet (sprayed with olive oil).
- Bake for about 15 minutes, then flip/turn/roll each meatball over. Bake another 10 minutes.
Makes about 25 meatballs.