This is a remake of “Hearty Meatball Soup with Spinach” (from Publix Apron’s Meals) that Eric and I loved before I adopted a vegetarian lifestyle last June. A few weeks ago, we noticed that Morning Star makes vegetarian meatballs … and we decided to give this a try with vegetarian modifications. The verdict? Two thumbs up – even my carnivorous hubby loved it … and it was delicious even though I forgot to add the beans, salt, and pepper (I got a phone call and was distracted!!).
Total Time: 35 minutes; Makes 2 servings
- olive oil
- 1 box (8.5 oz) Morning Star Veggie Meatballs (normally $4.00 at Publix)
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped (~2 tsp minced)
- 1 bag (16 oz) Bird’s Eye Recipe Ready Stew mix (carrots, onions, potatoes, and celery)
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 can cannellini beans (15-16 oz), drained
- 1 (26-oz) box vegetable cooking stock
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese – optional
- salt & pepper to taste – optional (I omitted)
- Heat olive oil on medium-high in nonstick saute pan. Brown meatballs (several minutes per side).
- Meanwhile, preheat large stockpot on medium-high for 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add garlic and Birds Eye frozen veggies. Cook until veggies are warm and tender. Add spinach; cook 2-3 minutes or until spinach begins to wilt.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in beans, and vegetable stock. Add salt or pepper if desired (I omitted accidentally but found that it did not need the salt/pepper). Simmer 5-7 minutes and then add meatballs. Cook until soup is hot. Top with cheese (optional) and serve.
Our Budget – approximately $5.00 with sales and coupons
Spinach: BOGO, $1.50 each
Morning Star: BOGO plus $1.50/1 MQ, $0.50 each
Birds Eye: BOGO plus $1.00/1 MQ and Publix Q, $FREE
Cannellini Beans: had on hand
Swanson Vegetable Stock: had on hand