Makes 8 to 10 servings. Hands-on: 1 hour. Total: 2 hours.
- 2.5 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground red pepper
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 3 medium-size sweet potatoes, baked, peeled, and mashed
- 5 large eggs, separated (yolks from whites)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Bring milk, thyme, sea salt, black pepper, and red pepper to a simmer in a 3-qt saucepan over medium heat. Whisk cornmeal into milk mixture in a slow, steady stream. Cool, whisking constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture thickens and pulls away from the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat, and stir in butter. Cool 10 minutes.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl; stir in cornmeal mixture. Stir in egg yolks and baking powder, stirring until well-blended.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; fold into potato mixture. Spoon batter into a well-buttered 3-qt baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. Edges will be firm and center will still be slightly soft. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack before serving.
Source: Southern Living magazine, December 2013 (pg. 181)