- 1 1/2 cups (1.5) sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup 100% cacao unsweetened cocoa
- 1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked deep-dish pie crust shell
Salted Caramel Topping:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (half a lemon produces about this much juice)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 tsp. table salt
- 2 cups toasted pecan halves
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Prepare Filling: Preheat oven to 350 F. Stir together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add eggs, stirring until well-blended. Fold in chopped pecans. Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes. (Filling will be loose but will set as it cools.) Remove from oven on a wire rack.
- Prepare Topping: Bring 3/4 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. (Do not stir). Boil, swirling occasionally after sugar begins to change color, 8 minutes or until dark amber. (Do not walk away from the pan, as the sugar could burn quickly once it begins to change color.) Remove from heat; add cream and 4 Tbsp. butter. Stir constantly until bubbling stops and butter is incorporated (about 1 minute). Stir in table salt.
- Arrange pecan halves on pie (make a spiral pattern). Top with caramel. Cool 15 minutes; sprinkle with sea salt.
Source: Southern Living magazine, November 2013 (featured on cover; recipe on pg. 106).