- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups coarsely chopped butternut squash
- 6 cups arugula
- 1 small ripe Bartlett pear, thinly sliced
- 1/2 (4-oz) package goat cheese, crumbled (Feta)
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cherries
Toasted Pecan Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp minced shallots
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Toss squash with olive oil. Place in a single layer in a lightly greased foil-lined 15×10-inch jelly roll pan. Bake 20 minutes or until squash is just tender and begins to brown, stirring once halfway through. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, assemble vinaigrette: Whisk together first six ingredients of vinaigrette. Add canola oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until smooth. Whisk in pecans. Makes 1.5 cups of dressing.
- Toss together squash, arugula, pear, goat cheese, and dried cherries on a serving platter. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Serve squash salad with Toasted Pecan Vinaigrette.
Source: Southern Living magazine, November 2013 (pg. 116)