- 3/4 lb large peeled and deveined shrimp, tails removed
- 2 cups butter lettuce, torn
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup finely shredded daikon radish
- 1/2 cup finely sliced red onion
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup roasted and coarsely crushed peanuts
For the dressing:
- 2 stalks lemongrass, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro stems
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Steam the shrimp until just cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- Remove the tough outer layers from the lemongrass stalks and chop the more tender white portion. Add to the bowl of a food processor or chopper along with the ginger, garlic, shallot, cilantro stems, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar. Process until the mixture becomes a paste. You may want to add a bit of vegetable oil to bring the mixture to a salad dressing consistency.
- Once the shrimp have cooled, slice in half lengthwise and reserve for plating.
- Place the lettuce, bean sprouts, shredded daikon, red onion, mint, basil and cilantro leaves in a large bowl. Toss gently to combine.
- Divide the mixed herbs and greens between four salad plates. Arrange equal portions of shrimp on top and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle crushed peanuts on top for garnish and serve.
Makes 4 servings