- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups 1 percent low-fat milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or other hard cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 8 ounces day-old French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 9 cups)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange squash in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven; reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, milk, 1/2 cup cheese, pepper, nutmeg, eggs and egg whites in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in squash and onion mixture. Add bread, and stir gently to combine. Let stand 10 minutes. Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until pudding is set and lightly browned.
Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional information per serving: calories: 304 (30 percent from fat); fat: 10.3 grams (saturated 4.8 grams, monounsaturated 3.7 grams, polyunsaturated 0.9 grams); protein: 18.1 grams; carbohydrate: 35.3 grams; fiber: 4 grams; cholesterol: 122 milligrams; iron: 2.1 milligrams; sodium: 823 milligrams; calcium: 406 milligrams.
Source: Well’s Vegetarian Thanksgiving 2010 (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/11/08/health/20101108_thanksgiving.html#Savory_Butternut_Squash_and_Parmesan_Bread_Pudding)