- 3 large garnet or other yams, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup canned coconut milk, mixed well before measuring
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup currants, soaked in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes and drained
- Place yam pieces in a large pot and cover with cold water. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook until fork-tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and return to pot.
- Add coconut milk, maple syrup, salt and spices, and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste. Add more coconut milk for a creamier texture and more maple syrup for a sweeter flavor. Mix in currants and serve.
Yield: 6 servings
Source: Well’s Vegetarian Thanksgiving 2012 (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/11/12/health/20121111_vegetarian-thanksgiving.html/#Coconut_Mashed_Yams_With_Currants)