Makes 20 Spanakopitas
Filling (makes 3 cups):
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup yellow onions, minced
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- seasoned bread crumbs, enough to prevent the mixture from being too wet
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toast garlic in pan with olive oil on medium heat until browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
- 12 to 15 filo sheets
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place one sheet of filo on work surface with the long side nearest you (“landscape” orientation). Brush with melted butter. Repeat with two more filo sheets, so there are 3 layers.
- Cut filo sheets vertically into five strips with pizza cutter or scissors.
- Place 2 Tbsp of filling at bottom of each strip and fold to form triangles as if folding a flag.
- Bake until golden brown, about 8 to 12 minutes. Serve hot.
Source: Cafe Sunflower recipe book