One of Grammy’s classic recipes, that I scaled down for just the two of us:
- 1 box (8-oz) elbow macaroni pasta
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper (can increase if like peppery flavor)
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional – use more or less to taste)
- 1 4-oz block Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 4-oz block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to directions (to al dente) – add a little butter or olive oil to water to help keep pasta from sticking together. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk together. Add milk a little at a time, whisking to incorporate the flour/butter mixture. Heat over medium heat for 5 minutes, whisking constantly. Add salt, pepper, and pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Add pasta to milk mixture.
- Reserve 1 cup of shredded cheese. Add remaining cheese to pasta & milk mixture.
- Lightly grease/spray a 2-quart baking dish. Pour pasta mixture into the dish. Top with 1 cup of reserved cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.