- 1 to 1.5 loaf french bread (about 12 oz per loaf)
- 8 eggs
- 1 pint Half & Half (2 cups)
- 1 cup milk – did not use this first time, but may try adding next time I make this.
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- dash of salt
- about 4 oz reduced-fat Cream Cheese
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
Directions (Night Before):
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Cut French bread into cubes (about 1-2″).
- Cube cream cheese into small (1/2″) pieces.
- Arrange bread and cream cheese in baking dish.
In a large bowl, mix together eggs, milk, half and half, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Beat until well blended, but not too bubbly. Pour over the bread & cream cheese evenly, using a spoon to gently mix and make sure the egg mixture gets between all the bread pieces. Cover with foil and refrigerate over night.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring casserole out of refrigerator and allow to warm to room temperature while oven is heating and you are making praline topping.
- Make praline topping by mixing together all praline ingredients in small bowl – should be crumbly.
- Spread praline topping evenly over the pieces of bread.
- Bake for about 40 minutes (uncovered), until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.