Corn Fritters are a tradition when we visit Grammy. I use her recipe, with one modification: instead of frying the fritters in oil, I cook them dry (no oil) like pancakes. Same great flavor, but without the guilty fried calories. Top with applesauce, syrup, honey, butter, jelly … the options are limited only by imagination.
- 4 ears of fresh corn
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Score corn (cut down middle of each row of kernels), then cut the corn off the ear. With back of knife blade (dull side), scrape down the cob to get the milky juice.
- Add corn and juice to beaten egg.
- Add salt and oil.
- Add about 3/4 cup flour and 3/4 tsp baking powder (flour and baking powder should be 1:1 ratio), stir. If too runny at this point, add more flour & baking powder. If too thick, add some milk.
- Fried option: fry in about 1/3 inch oil in pan (batter drops should be about the size of a silver dollar). Turn over when bottom is cooked. Healthier option: cook like pancakes.