This recipe makes use of one of my all-time favorite kitchen appliances: the bread machine.
- 1 cup water
- 2.75 cup bread flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp bread machine or quick active dry yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp water
- Place all ingredients (except egg yolk and 1 Tbsp water) in bread machine in order recommended by manufacturer.
- Select Dough/Manual cycle. Do not use delay cycle.
- Remove dough from pan, using lightly floured hands. Cover and let rest 10 minutes on lightly floured surface.
- Grease outsides of 6 10-oz custard cups. Place cups upside down on ungreased cookie sheet. Divide dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll or pat each piece into a 7-inch circle on lightly floured surface. Shape dough circles over outsides of cups. Cover and let rise in warm place 15-20 minutes or until slightly puffy.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix egg yolk and water; brush gently over bread bowls. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully lift bread bowls from custard cups – bread and glass bowls will be hot. Cook bread bowls upright on wire rack.
- Fill and enjoy!