In bowl, combine:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/3 cup blanched chopped almonds
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground/grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
Set above ingredients aside. Then:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F, grease a 13×9″ glass dish
- Melt 1 cup unsalted butter in small bowl.
- Trim 1 pound (~18 sheets) Filo pastry dough to size of glass dish.
- Line bottom of glass dish with 1 sheet of filo pastry; brush on small amount of butter to coat. Add 7 more sheets, brushing each with butter before laying down the next. Cover Filo pastry to keep it from drying out.
- Spread 1/2 of nut mixture (above) on top of pastry.
- Add 4 more sheets of pastry, brushing butter on each sheet.
- Spread other 1/2 of nut mixture on top and cover with remaining filo dough (brushing each sheet with butter) – about 5 sheets.
- Spread remaining butter on top.
- Use a sharp knife to cut through top layers of pastry to make a diamond grid of about 25 pieces.
- Bake in oven 1 hour, or until golden brown. Cover with foil during baking to prevent over-browning. Cool in pan.
While cooling, in large sauce pan, combine:
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Peel from 1/3 a lemon
- Heat gently, stir continually until sugar is melted. Let boil about 5 minutes. Remove lemon peel and pour syrup evenly over filo pastry. Allow to cool slightly.
Enjoy warm or cooled.