- 1 pie dough – home made or frozen
- 1/2 package (12-15 slices) of turkey bacon, cooked and chopped into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded/grated gruyere cheese (could use cheddar or another substitute)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion or shallot
- 1 tsp butter
- Pre-bake frozen crust (blind bake): Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the frozen crust with heavy-duty aluminum foil, allowing a couple of inches to extend beyond the sides of the tart or pie pan. Fill two-thirds with dry beans or other pie weights. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven, remove the pie weights (lift up foil by edges) and foil. Use tines of a fork to prick holes around the base of the crust. Return to the oven and bake another 10 minutes, until lightly browned all over. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Saute onions in butter until soft and translucent.
- Whisk eggs in large bowl. Add the nutmeg, salt, black pepper, and onions and whisk some more.
- Add milk and cream to egg mixture, and whisk vigorously to incorporate and introduce a little air into the mixture.
- Arrange the bacon and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust.
- Whisk the egg mixture hard again for a few seconds, then pour gently into the pie crust. You want the bacon and cheese to be suspended in the mix, so you might need to gently stir it around a little bit.
- Put quiche in pre-heated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes. Check for doneness after 30 minutes by gently jiggling the quiche. It should still have just a little wiggle (it will finish setting while it cools). Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition: 434 Calories for 1/6 of quiche