Prep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 cup onion and garlic salad croutons
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper (can substitute green or other pepper)
- 4 slices Morning Star soy bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
Note: original recipe called for “2 ounces thinly sliced deli turkey, chopped” … I used Morning Star soy bacon instead.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a food processor, process croutons until ground. Sprinkle evenly onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a greased 2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and Morning Star bacon in oil for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add spinach; cook just until wilted. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into vegetable mixture. Transfer to prepared dish; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 223 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 843 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.