Applebee’s has a Grilled Shrimp & Spinach salad that I really enjoy. In fact, I liked it so much that it was the inspiration for this salad that I created. This is approximate ingredients for 2 entree salads:
- 3/4 to 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 cup teryaki sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- approx. 2 Tbsp red onion, diced finely
- spinach (generous helping per salad)
- approx. 2 Tbsp toasted slivered almonds
- soy-based baco bits
- sesame ginger Asian salad dressing (low-fat / lite)
- Prep ahead of time: roast red peppers in oven under broiler (4-5 inches from heat). Turn 1/4 every 5-10 minutes (when pepper starts to get brown/black on top side). After peppers have been cooked on all sides, put each pepper in a small brown paper bag and roll down to “seal” in steam. Let stand for about 10-15 minutes (until cool enough to handle). Peel off skin and remove inside seeds / stem. Chop. If using right away, it’s great warm. Otherwise will keep overnight in the refrigerator.
- Put shrimp in small ziploc bag. Mix teryaki sauce and honey in small bowl and add to shrimp. Toss to coat and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Cook shrimp: grill or saute or roast in oven. Cook until just done (opaque and firm). If grilling, use bamboo skewers.
- While shrimp is cooking: Assemble salads: heap of spinach, red pepper, red onion, almonds, and sprinkle with baco bits.
- Place (hot) shrimp around the edges of the salad. Dressing to taste.