Grilled Jerk Shrimp Orzo Salad – 40 minutes; serves 4
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 18 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 – 1.25 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 Tbsp. Caribbean Jerk seasoning [kind of spicy]
- 2 small sweet red peppers, chopped
- Cooking spray / olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Combine with corn onto small baking dish (either drizzle a little olive oil on corn & asparagus and toss to coat or use cooking spray on the baking dish). Broil for 10-15 minutes (or until tender) – toaster oven works well for this. Stir every few minutes to prevent burning.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to large bowl. Add chopped pepper.
- While orzo is cooking: Rub shrimp with jerk seasoning. Coat sauté pan with cooking spray or 1 tsp olive oil and heat to medium-high. Add shrimp when pan is hot. Cook shrimp, stirring frequently, just until shrimp turn white/pink (about 5-8 minutes).
- Add asparagus, corn, and shrimp to the pasta mixture.
- Combine dressing ingredients in small bowl; pour over the salad and toss to coat. Serve warm or cold.
2 cups = 352 calories; 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat); 138 mg cholesterol; 719 mg sodium; 39 g carbohydrates; 8 g fiber; 26 g protein