Rachel Ray’s No Fail Turkey Gravy –
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. Cracked black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 1 Tbsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 quart stock-in-a-box turkey or chicken (low-sodium)
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Beaten Egg yolks
- 1 to 2 cups pan drippings, fat skimmed or separated (or additional stock-in-a-box)
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat – cook on medium until butter is brown. Whisk in lots of pepper (approx. 1 tsp.) then flour and poultry seasoning.
- Cook 2 minutes then whisk in stock and Worcestershire. Raise heat a bit to thicken gravy to lightly coat spoon.
- If making ahead, stop here and chill gravy. When ready to serve, re-heat the gravy and complete the rest of the steps.
- Add a ladle of the sauce to a bowl with the egg yolks and whisk together to temper them. Whisk tempered yolks back into sauce to add gloss and viscosity. Cover and turn off heat.
- To serve, bring the gravy to a low bubble then whisk in pan drippings from your turkey (or additional stock).
Source: Rachel Ray