Chicken & Apricot Puff Pastry Pie – 40 minutes, serves 4-6
- 1/2 cup bulgar wheat
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 sweet onions, chopped
- 1 lb / 2 cups ground chicken
- 1/4 cup ready-to-eat dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds, chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 cup or slightly more, plain Greek yogurt (ok to sub regular plain yogurt, but better with Greek yogurt)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- Salt & ground black pepper
- Scallions, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the bulgar wheat in a bowl with 1/2 cup of boiling water. Soak for 5-10 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Saute chicken until pale golden. Drain and put chicken aside. Saute onions in olive oil (or a little pat of butter) for a few minutes until soft, then return chicken to the pan.
- Stir in the apricots, almonds, and bulgar wheat and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon, allspice, yogurt, chives and parsley. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
- Press mixture into an 8×8 inch glass baking dish. Cover with puff pastry, tucking the edges into the baking dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until pastry is puffy and golden brown. Serve hot.
Source: Greek Cooking cookbook, with slight modifications